Little Charlie

Keeping the virtual world up to date on Charlie and his adventures.

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Hiawatha Trail

This post has nothing to do with little Charlie whatsoever. Yesterday Matt, several of his family members and I biked the Hiawatha Trail while Charlie was baby-sat by Aunt Teresa. Since there's no little Jeannette website my activities will be showing up here from time to time as well.

So the trail goes through several old train tunnels and over old steel trestles. In the tunnels you are required to have a flashlight on your bike since it's pitch black. There were many times where you couldn't tell if you were going straight or if you were going to ram your bike right into the wall. I was generally the last one out of each tunnel because I'd develop an instant case of claustrophobia and convince myself I wouldn't be able to find the end of the tunnel (even though you could usually see the light at the end of the tunnel) so I'd slow way down and peddle at about 1 mile an hour. The trail is up in the mountains between Idaho and Montana so it was a bit brisk to say the least. If you ever get the opportunity to bike the trail be sure you have lots of flashlights duct taped all over your bike and go in the summer when its a little warmer. All in all it was a great day despite the frigid temps and scary tunnels.

In the photo you can see one of the trestles in the background. I was going for the coal miner/Russian immigrant look for the day. I'm surprised Matt agreed to be photographed with me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home