Little Charlie

Keeping the virtual world up to date on Charlie and his adventures.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Croup?

Last night around 10:30 Charlie woke himself up with a crazy seal-sounding cough. His breathing was really labored and every breath sounded like his last (terrible thing to say but it's the best way to describe it). Not knowing what else to do I brought him into our bed, sent Matt to the guest room, and made Charlie sleep with me so I could keep an eye on him. I think I maybe got 2 hours of sleep last night, I spent the rest of the night staring at him.

So this morning I took him down to the Urgent Care Center and their diagnosis was he either has croup or he swallowed a toy. Apparently based on his breathing patterns either option was equally viable.

For those of you who don't know croup is an infection of the larger breathing tubes of the lungs and windpipe. It's caused by the same virus that produces laryngitis in adults. The swelling that occurs in the trachea produces narrowing of the air passages and thus the harsh, dry, bark-like cough.

I did my best to convince the doctor we don't let Charlie swallow his toys so we could get the shot of cortisone (which would cure him assuming he had croup). When we left the doctor told us to come back in 24 hours if he's not showing significant signs of improvement and they'd do some chest x-rays and look for a toy in his chest.

Thankfully throughout the day today he's been acting more and more like his old self so I think the croup is clearing up and we won't have to go shopping to replace any lost toys.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is with these boys getting sick in the middle of summer? I hope Charlie keeps on the mend.

July 11, 2007 9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't croup scary? I am so sorry you had to deal with it! When Cooper had it, they didn't even offer the cortisone - just told us to prop his head up and take him to the ER if he seemed to be struggling for air...

One of those diagnosis that feels like it isn't doing anything to help! Glad he is feeling better!

July 12, 2007 4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home