Little Charlie

Keeping the virtual world up to date on Charlie and his adventures.

Friday, November 09, 2007

This Has Got to Stop

This has gone on long enough. Charlie's book obsession has turned into all night book-fests. Last night around 3:30 a.m. through the baby-monitor I heard Charlie's talking Nemo book. My first thought was that I was dreaming it, not too hard to do considering I read every book he owns at least 3 times a day. However, it wasn't a dream. I went into Charlie's room to find him sitting in the pitch dark, surrounded by about 10 books that he had pulled off his window sill, reading Nemo.

I took the books away and tried to explain that it was still night time and that it wasn't good for his eyes anyways to be reading in the dark. I'm assuming he understood because he didn't fight me too bad.

Then at about 5 a.m. I hear his little voice through the monitor "book...book...book". Since it didn't sound like the chant was going to stop anytime soon I went in and gave in to his request. I turned on a night light and gave him a stack of books to peruse. I then turned off the baby-monitor so we couldn't hear Charlie making his animal sounds to the pictures in the books and Matt and I got about 2 more hours of sleep before the alarm went off.

So the reason this needs to stop is not because I'm against learning. Oh I'm all for that. I'm just more for sleeping these days. The above picture is Charlie passing out in his car seat this morning at about 9:45. I would have loved to have done the same had I not been the one behind the wheel.

So the internal dilemma I'm struggling with is do I just let the kid read all night and sleep during the day and become wierd? Or do I insist he sleeps at night and save his reading for the day time?

3 Comments:

Blogger Lori said...

That is the funniest problem I've ever heard of! The idea of Charlie not being able to sleep because he needs to read is too funny! I'd have to say I have no advice for you. Andrew turns the pages so quickly that I don't have time to read anything and if it doesn't have texture or sound he doesn't seem to care for it. Maybe the boys could talk and find a happy medium...? Good luck.

November 10, 2007 4:07 PM  
Blogger Jeannette said...

The problem is not going away either. The last few nights I've gone in to tuck him in before I go to bed and he's sound asleep on a pile of books. I have to reach under him to get them out of the crib. Its insane.

November 11, 2007 9:59 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good luck and sweet dreams! I know your dreams will have "book, book, book" in them.

November 12, 2007 10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home